The description that follows is originaly from SparkFun Electronics, and credit goes to them for the original design and gratitude for making it open source. We have revised the Bill of Materials to use the new Venus838FLPX IC which has replaced the Venus 638FLPx chipset.
Based on the Venus638FLPx, the successor to the Venus634LPx. The Venus638FLPx outputs standard NMEA-0183 or SkyTraq Binary sentences at a default rate of 9600bps (adjustable to 115200bps), with update rates up to 20Hz! The Venus638FLPx also allows for limited on-chip logging (check out the firmware below), as well as external logging using a SPI flash memory chip (not included).
This board includes a SMA connector to attach an external antenna, headers for 3.3V serial data, NAV (lock) indication, Pulse-Per-Second output, and external Flash support. We’ve also provided solder jumpers to easily configure the power consumption, boot memory, and backup supply. This board requires a regulated 3.3V supply to operate; at full power the board uses up to 90mA, at reduced power it requires up to 60mA.
We’ve made it easy to connect an external battery or super capacitor to the board, to support very fast restarts after power is removed.
Note: We’ve broken out the pins for the Venus638FLPx’s second serial port
(RX1,TX1) and I2C interface (SDA,SCL). However, these ports are not used by the
stock firmware. SkyTraq offers an SDK allowing the creation of customized firmware;
contact them for details.
• Up to 20Hz update rate
• -148dBm cold start sensitivity
• -165dBm tracking sensitivity
• 29 second cold start TTFF
• 3.5 second TTFF with AGPS
• 1 second hot start
• 2.5m accuracy
• Multipath detection and suppression
• Jamming detection and mitigation
• SBAS (WAAS / EGNOS) support
• 67mW full power navigation
• Works directly with active or passive antenna
• Internal flash for optional 75K point data logging
• Supports external SPI flash memory data logging
• Complete receiver in 10mm x 10mm x 1.3mm size
• Contains LNA, SAW Filter, TCXO, RTC Xtal, LDO
• Single 2.7-3.3V supply
Dimensions: 1.15 x 0.7 inches
Leadtime for orders that deplete our stock on hand will typically take approximately 4-6 weeks for delivery if we don’t already have an order on the way.
Product Page for further details